This animated series actually follows three different cartoon scenarios along with a few other segments.
Shnookums and Meat!
This segment involves a cat named Shnookums (voiced by Jason Marsden) and a dog named Meat (voiced by Frank Welker) who did not get along very well. Their owners are unseen stock characters only viewed from the neck down and named (appropriately enough) Husband & Wife (voiced by Steve Mackall and Tress MacNeille). Husband is always referring to their home as their "domicile" before the two leave their pets in charge while they are away.
Pith Possum: Super Dynamic Possum of Tomorrow
A spoof of the Batman comics (not unlike Darkwing Duck, only more extreme in its spoofing) with the Superhero Pith Possum (voiced by Jeff Bennett) and his sidekick Obediah the Wonder Raccoon (voiced by Patric Zimmerman) fighting crime in Possum City when called by Commissioner Stress the Gorilla (voiced by Brad Garrett). Pith Possum's true identity is lowly tabloid copyboy Peter Possum. Pith Possum fights various enemies with his recurring one being a mad lumberjack named Dr. Paul Bunion (voiced by Jim Cummings). Pith Possum (even when in his true identity) also has developed a crush on a female human reporter named Doris Deer (voiced by April Winchell). It was stated that Pith Possum was an ordinary lab opossum until he gained ultra opossum-like abilities upon an experiment gone wrong. The titles of the episodes are completely unrelated to their contents but rather (usually) over the top titles always using the word 'dark' or 'darkness' and often with the words 'black' and 'night' (e.g., The Phantom Mask of the Dark Black Darkness of Black, Return of the Night of Blacker Darkness, Return of the Dark Mask of Phantom Blackness, etc.). Jim Cummings provided the narration in most episodes.
Tex Tinstar: The Best in the West
A parody of Wild West serials involving the cowboy Tex Tinstar (voiced by Jeff Bennett), his horse Here Boy, and Tex's friends Smelly Deputy Chafe (voiced by Charlie Adler), Percy Lacedaisy (voiced by Corey Burton), and Floyd the Insane Rattlesnake (voiced by Jess Harnell) who always get into trouble when pursuing a group of outlaws called the Wrong Riders consisting of Wrongo (voiced by Brad Garrett), Ian (voiced by Corey Burton in a homage to Paul Frees character Inspector Fenwick from Dudley Do-Right), and Clem. The end of each episode ends in a cliffhanger for next week (not unlike the serials or "Rocky and Bullwinkle"). Jim Cummings narrated each installment.
- Weigth for Me/Phantom Mask of the Dark Black Darkness of Black/A Fistfull of Foodstamps (January 2, 1995)
- Ow Hey!/Darkness on the Edge of Black/For a Few Foodstamps More (January 9, 1995)
- Bugging Out!/Night of Darkness/The Good The Bad and the Wiggly (January 16, 1995)
- Poodle Panic/The Darkness it is Dark!/Low Pants Drifter (January 23, 1995)
- Cabin Fever/Return of the Night of Blacker Darkness/Stale Rider (January 30, 1995)
- Pain in the Brain/Haunt of the Night of Blacker Darkness/Loathsome Dove (February 6, 1995)
- Step-Ladder to Heaven/Bride of Darkness/Magnificent Eleven (February 13, 1995)
- Kung Fu Kitty/Son of the Cursed Black of Darkness/Saddlesores, Sagebrush and Seaweed (February 20, 1995)
- I.Q. You Too!/The Light of Darkness/Slap-Happy Trails (February 27, 1995)
- Something Fishy/Return of the Black Mask of Phantom Darkness/My Spine Hurts (March 6, 1995)
- Night of the Living Shnookums/Dark of the Darker Darkness/The Vinyl Frontier (March 13, 1995)
- Jingle Bells Something Smells/Dark Quest for Darkness/Hey, Carefull That's My Cerebellum! (March 20, 1995)
- What a Turkey/Light or Dark Meat?/There Are Spider All Over Me (March 27, 1995)
- Charlie Adler - Chafe
- Jeff Bennett - Pith Possum/Peter Possum, Tex Tinstar
- Corey Burton - Ian, Percy Lacedaisy, Krusty Rustknuckle, Ultra Guy Man Dude (in "The Light of Darkness")
- Jim Cummings - Narrator, Dr. Paul Bunion, Mr. Kane, Ralph Bear (in "Return of the Night of Blacker Darkness"), Supper Squirrel (in "Dark of the Darker Darkness"), Caped Cod (in "The Light of Darkness")
- Brad Garrett - Commissioner Stress, Wrongo, Super Water Buffalo (in "Son of the Cursed Black of Darkness"), Shirley Pimple (in "Bride of Darkness")
- Jess Harnell - Lieutenant Tension, Floyd the Insane Rattlesnake, Polite Coyotes, Easter Bunny Imposter (in "Phantom Mask of the Dark Black Darkness of Black"), Al Dog (in "Return of the Night of Blacker Darkness"), Spidey (in "Bride of Darkness"), Power Weasel (in "The Light of Darkness"), Bat Guy (in "The Light of Darkness")
- Steve Mackall - Husband
- Tress MacNeille - Wife
- Jason Marsden - Shnookums
- Frank Welker - Meat
- April Winchell - Doris Deer, Registration Lady (in "The Light of Darkness"), Wowee Woman (in "The Light of Darkness")
- Patric Zimmerman - Obediah the Wonder Raccoon
Shnookums and Meat was created and written by Bill Kopp, who also created Toonsylvania and Mad Jack the Pirate. The show was directed by Jeff DeGrandis. Kopp was the voice of Eek! the Cat and Yuckie Duck from The What-A-Cartoon! Show on Cartoon Network
Segments on "Marsupilami"
- Kung Fu Kitty
- I.Q. You Too!
- Something Fishy
- Night of the Living Shnookums
- Jingle Bells Something Smells
Segments on "The New Adventures of Jenny Foxworth"
- Weight For Me
- Ow Hey!
- Bugging Out
- Poodle Panic
- Cabin Fever
- Pain in the Brain
- Step-Ladder to Heaven
- Kung Fu Kitty
- I.Q. You Too!
- Something Fishy
- Night of the Living Shnookums
- Jingle Bells Something Bells
- What a Turkey
The show aired on The Disney Afternoon on Mondays between January 2, 1995 and March 27, 1995 in the timeslot normally occupied by Bonkers. Reruns were later shown on Toon Disney. The Tex Tinstar segments were shown out of order on the Disney Channel UK in 2003 to fill the then frequently gapped schedule. Than Shnookums and Meat It On Nickelodeon in 1999 to 2000 March Toon Mania Stars in March. The show last aired on Friday, July 6, 2007, on Toon Disney during the Mega Jam block.
The show had received mixed reactions upon its initial release. Some enjoyed the artistic design and humor of the show, while many criticized it due to it copying the designs and humor of John Kricfalusi's designs and characters in Ren and Stimpy. This is considered to be due to a lot of the Spumco artists working on the show.
Martin "Dr. Toon" Goodman of Animation World Magazine described The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show as one of two The Ren & Stimpy Show "clones", with the other one being 2 Stupid Dogs.
- Reboy, Judith (1995). "Bill Kopp on The Record". Animato! #33. p. 60. Archived from the original on June 29, 2006. Retrieved 1 May 2011.
- Reboy, Judith (Summer 1996). "Eekstravaganza Update". Animato! #35. p. 13. Archived from the original on June 29, 2006. Retrieved 1 May 2011.
- "Cartoons Aren't Real! Ren and Stimpy In Review." Animation World Magazine. Issue 5.12. March 2001. Retrieved on June 3, 2010.
- Adventures of the Gummi Bears
- The Wuzzles
- The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers
- Disney's Darkwing Duck
- The Little Mermaid
- Goof Troop
- Raw Toonage
- The New Adventures of Jenny Foxworth
- The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show
- The Lion King's Timon and Pumbaa
- Quack Pack
- Mighty Ducks
- Disney's Doug
- Jungle Cubs
- 101 Dalmatians: The Series
- Nightmare Ned
- Pepper Ann
- The Tish Katsurfrakis Cartoon Show
- Hercules: The Animated Series
- PB&J Otter
- Mickey Mouse Works
- The Weekenders
- Teacher's Pet
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
- Llody in Space
- House of Mouse
- The Legend of Tarzan
- Teamo Supremo
- Kim Possible
- Lilo & Stitch: The Series
- Dave The Barbarian
- Brandy & Mr. Whiskers
- American Dragon: Jake Long
- The Buzz on Maggie
- The Emperor's New School
- The Replacements
- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
- Phineas and Ferb
- My Friends Tigger and Pooh
- Speical Agent OSO
- Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil
- Fish Hooks
- Jake and the Never Land Pirates
- Sofia the First
- Tron: Uprising
- Gravity Falls
- Wander Over Yander
- The 7D
- Penn-Zero: Part-Time Hero
- Star vs the Forces of Evil
- Two More Eggs
- Pickle and Peanut
- The Lion Guard
- Milo Murphy's Law
- Mickey and the Roadster Racers
- Tangled: The Series
- Billy Dilly's Super-Duper Subterranean Summer
- DuckTales (Reboot)
- Big Hero 6: The Series
- Country Club